Monday, August 10, 2009

Today was quite 'shocking'

August 10, 2009

Today was my neurological nerve/muscle test for things like myasthenia gravis, muscular dystrophy, etc. I wasn't excited to go back to visit Boris, but knew I'd better cross this test off my list of things that give me answers. I really didn't know what to expect so just tried to chill out this weekend. Glad I didn't know more about it because sometimes ignorance is bliss. The nurse was so wonderful (aren't they usually!!!) and explained everything and told me I could swear at her or hit her if it made me feel better. While it made me laugh, my inner voice was thinking 'What the!!!' At least I knew she knew what it felt like because when they get new equipment in they practice on each other.

So she puts electrodes in various positions on my left leg and my left arm. Then she stimulated different nerves with an electrical impulse. For those of us medically uneducated, this means she is going to shock you. Some were just uncomfortable and I could handle those. Others felt similar to what I would think a doggie shock collar feels like (to my last wonderful dog, I am SO sorry!) and wowwwzer, I almost took her up on her offer to hit her if I hadn't been spasming in my sexy gown that opens in the back. I felt like an idot caught in one of those episodes of Cops, with bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do... singing in my mind as I pictured myself getting tasered.

Then the neurologist came in to test the muscles and this is where they use a needle. I was about to call it quits, gown flapping in the breeze and all as I made a beeline for the car, but I figured that I just needed to suck it up so I could have a true picture of what was going on. I didn't think that my problem was neurological, but I really don't know anything about that topic and wanted to make sure I really knew versus just being a scared, sweaty smarty pants who was tired of being poked. Then he put the needle in my leg and I was like 'THAT was IT?' While the shocks were completely awful, the needle being inserted into different muscles really was just a little bit uncomfortable.

So Boris comes back in after looking at the test results and said that everything looked great, except for what looked like old damage from an injury in my lower back (L5). I was extremely amazed as this is one of my old herniated discs that I have trouble with when the disc and annular tear get aggravated with too much of the wrong activity. He didn't know about this injury from when I was thrown off my horse 15 years ago. So while I was not happy with his rapid diagnosis of anxiety as being the probable cause of my problems from the last visit, he is now joining the docs at the top of my list as being really sharp with the diagnostic tools he has available. Very amazing.

Right after Mom and I got home (yes, she got to see me shocked and poked and I don't think I saw her smile) the wonderful nurse called and said the rest of my neurological tests (AND drug screening!) came back negative or normal. So the neurologist has now cleared me, too, so all is quiet and well until Wednesday. All I know is that the bibopsy (My Big Fat Greek Wedding reference) cannot be as bad as the electrodes so I'll be sleeping well.

I've been pushing it a bit the last few days and trying to get some small projects done around the house, but was kind of smacked back down and am trying to rest more again. My heart went into its minor twisting game with me on Saturday night while I was trying to sleep and it lasted for about an hour. Then I did a little bit more Sunday morning while it was hot out and my heart decided to pull its stunt during the start of Harry Potter at the movie theatre in the middle of the afternoon. I usually prefer action movies at the theatre, but was glad this installment of Harry Potter was a tamer version. I don't think I would have made it through Transformers. I tried to pick up my prescription of Bystolic for my heart as the sample bottle was nearly gone and found out my insurance company needs to pre-approve it by speaking with my cardiologist. I told my insurance company that they can choose to pay via emergency room visits or drug benefits. We'll see how long it takes and if I'll need another sample bottle. This stuff seems to be keeping my heart 'sane' and me out of the ER so hopefully this part will be over soon.

So overall I do feel better. But over the last week or so I've come to the conclusion that while the medication is wonderful, it truly is just keeping something bigger at bay. Whatever it is, is still there lurking. I can feel everything that was bothering me before, it's just been muted. I am dearly grateful for the doctors who have gotten me this far and for the medications that are keeping me going, but now I feel like I'm treading water. And you can only tread water for so long...

No comments:

Post a Comment