Friday, August 28, 2009

More answers Monday?

It's been a while since I've posted and many of you have asked for updates. I've been kind of trying to ignore this whole health issue away, hoping that a lack of attention will get rid of it, but it hasn't...of course.

My biopsy came back inconclusive due to not enough material. I was like WHAT?! Y'all poked me with 6 needles, came back with a 7th, and you STILL didn't get enough material??? The good news is that they had enough material to stain and test for the worst thyroid cancer, which can kill you within months, but I never thought I had that kind, so don't really understand why the pathologist tested for it first. It was my calcitonin that was high, which indicates possible medullary thyroid cancer, so I feel they should have tested for that FIRST...

The great and fantastic news is that we found out that my uncle did NOT have medullary thyroid cancer. I had so many questions when I thought he had it, as in why didn't they tell him to tell his daughter and brothers to get tested and why was he ok after so many years with such a large tumor to begin with. It just didn't add up. Thankfully, my doctor asked for a verification from my uncle's oncologist and when my uncle talked with their office, he found out that the first person who looked at the record didn't look at the actual pathology report. They looked at something else. So come to find out that he had papillary thyroid cancer, which is the type of cancer doctor's choose to have if they have to choose a type of cancer to have personally. So I've been told by several doctor's. So that makes me feel relieved for my uncle's sake. A little bit for me, but mostly for him.

The biopsy and Uncle's findings still don't answer why my calcitonin level is elevated. My doctor has been talking with Duke University about my test results, etc. I'm sure he has shared with them my bizarre reaction to the cortisol test (I personally want to take the test again because I had a magnificent amount of energy with no crash!) as well all the other fun stuff. He was also going to look at my latest aldolase level. In the hospital it tested normal, then at the neurologist's request, the office lab took it again (Remember Boris and the drug testing? I sure do.) This time it came back elevated. So my doc was going to call and compare the tests to see if it was really saying something or not as any change might tell him something. Aldolase can tell if there is muscle damage going on or a number of other things I don't really want to think about.

So as you can see, it's been over two weeks since my bibopsy and I'm still no more knowledgeable about anything. Well, I guess I now know the term 'aldolase' and what it means, but that's not what I was going for!

So over the past several weeks I've tried to ignore this pain in the a$$ crap fest. I've been working as much as I can around the house to unpack, organize, paint. Basically everything I couldn't do earlier this summer when we moved it. I do it in part because complete disorder drives me insane, and in part because I love to organize things and make things look great (which is good due to number one). However, a small part of me is concerned that this is going to come back with a vengeance and take revenge for all the activity I've been doing and I'll be unable to do anything again. It's started catching up to me, starting last weekend. I could feel myself slowing down a little bit. Then over the course of the week I had some pretty rough days with being awfully tired, down to the core, where all I want to do is give in and lay around in the sun like the cats. Although the sun was too hot. My skin would burn and feel so hot inside, but feel fine on the outside. And when I worked for a while, I would feel odd, and I could tell that if I went to look in the mirror, that my face would either be completely pale or that the skin around my nose would be oddly bloodless white. I'm a face flusher and I get red when I get warm, move around, exercise, or basically breathe. So to go that pale while feeling odd at the same time is disconcerning, especially with a heart problem. So ignore has been the name of the game. All is well, fa la la la la, tip toe through the tulips, and all that jazz. I am happy to report that part of it has worked as I have completed my 10 months of backed up filing, have redone the file cabinet, and our bonus room has been transformed from a toddler death trap to a pretty decent room. If I felt like it I could turn on an exercise video and not put my foot through a picture frame and wouldn't slip on a stack of recipes torn out of countless magazines. I mean, I DON'T feel like it, but I COULD. I'm sure the garbage men are happy as I've thrown out bags upon bags of useless papers and the container will be much lighter from here on out. I guess my next question should be, how in the world did so much stuff get into out house in the first place???

I'll put the doc's answers, or lack thereof, on here on Monday. Until then, I'm going to try to ignore it again all weekend...just in case it works this time.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that the result was undiagnostic.If the thyroid nodule has blood flow, almost all of the sample contains the blood with some scant cells.

    ReplyDelete