Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Rollercoaster

I've never been a big fan of rollercoasters. I usually go to the fair or festival and eat my way through it while people watching and visiting the animal barns and trying to pet everything. So likening this experience to riding a rollercoaster is not a compliment. I don't know from one hour to another how I'm going to feel. I woke up this morning and it was like wading through molassas in the winter or what I imagine it's like if you had several big ol' slugs of Dimetapp (grape, it's my favorite). I had a good nap around mid-day while Mom was making lasagna. That part was nice and reminiscent of childhood. I finally got up and showered and managed to sweat all over the place by the time I was ready to take our truck for it's oil change (9000 miles past due I might add). I swear if they tell me I'm perimenopausal, too, I would just kiss them as long as they gave me something for it. My new PA asked me what one single thing I would like to have fixed in all of this and she assumed being tired was my biggest grip. Well, it IS very life altering going around in a foggy cloud of tired. But it's also frustrating to walk around power surging off and on all day, too. They think that is probably linked to the thyroid or adrenals, and I'm ready to get this all figured out. I think the biggest sign I'll be fine is when I feel refreshed when I wake up and I am back to feeling like a lizard and loving the heat again. Not much worse than living in the South and wanting to sit on an ice cube all day just so you won't sweat anymore, or dreaming of January and leaving the windows open.

Then I started feeling better this afternoon. So good that I actually drove the truck from one store to another and lifted some heavy things in the store I wouldn't have even tried to lift just a few days ago. So when we got home from the store I hurried around to get as many things done as I could while I still had the energy. It was wonderful! Chip got home and we all had some of Mom's incredible lasagna. I went for a short walk with Mom, too. I started thinking, like I always do when I have an up moment, that maybe this really was all in my head. Maybe the old doctor's were right and it's just in my head.

Then the fog hit. It only lasted about 30 seconds to a minute, but it was a scary reminder of my hospital visit two weeks ago. It was the heavy helmet lowering over my head and onto my shoulders. My brainwaves slowed to a dull blip and I knew that this afternoon was just a temporary and wonderful respite from this whole ordeal, my own, personal rollercoaster ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment