Monday, January 25, 2010

More food answers?

I went to see a nutritionist today, at the recommendation of Dr. Ley. He said she would help me make sure I ate healthy food to make up for what I can't eat, and said she might be able to give me some ideas for why I can't eat certain things. I must say I'm amazed.

I told her in conversation that I couldn't eat potatoes as they made me swell up really quickly, all the way to my toes. I also can't eat bell peppers as they make me feel arthritic and cause facial swelling. She said that they are part of the nightshade family. She pulled up some information online while just doing a quick search and we saw lots of articles on foods in the nightshade family causing joint pain and some other things. And that those diagnosed with arthritis are strongly recommended to stop eating any of these types of foods for several months as a lot of people find complete or partial relief from their arthritis symptoms. Well, I'll be.

This goes along with my similar finding with the grass family. I can't eat corn, wheat, cane sugar, etc. and all of those items are in two subspecies in the grass family. I can eat rice, but it's in a different subspecies.

So all of this is starting to make some sense. The foods that give me the most fits are in two food families, and eggs. Both of the times I've gotten sick with this type of thing (the first was over 2 years ago and lasted only a few weeks) I was eating a lot of fast food with wheat and french fries aka potatoes. I was eating a ton of fast food right before I got sick because I was getting the house ready for the moving van. I ate fast food and french fries every single day. Now a simple plain potato or bun causes all sorts of significant health problems.

The pieces of the puzzle are coming together more and more. Hopefully I'll have the endoscopy results soon and maybe some final answers then. Please oh please, and not just for my sanity. My wallet is getting flat.

No comments:

Post a Comment