Monday, December 7, 2009

The 7th and no appt. tomorrow

I was asked on short notice to make a rare business trip to Indianapolis so I arrived in my never worn wool coat to the first snow of the year. So messy traffic and white lint all over my black pants. A delightful day all around! But the people here are so wonderful that it truly has been a wonderful trip.

I rescheduled my allergist appointment for the 17th. I told them of my fairly dire circumstances and they were able to get me in before the new year. For that I'm grateful.

In the meantime, I'm trying to do a good job of hiding this allergy from my coworkers and employer while away from my own kitchen. It's an interesting day when you can look back at the last few weeks and realize your eating habits are completely bizarre. I know if I'd read about anybody else eating bananas, brown rice, and meat that I'd call them a looney tune or that I'd consider them in the eating disorder realm. But when it's you, well, it's different. It's amazing that you can develop coping mechanisms for just about anything if it keeps you feeling well.

Fortunately, my boss told me before I left that I should eat like when I'm at home. Ok. I eat meat. And meat at a restaurant is expensive. But I found a place about a 1/2 mile walk down the way where I go every evening for dinner. I get free bananas at the hotel, lunch at Lilly's cafeteria is inexpensive and healthy, and then I get a real dinner. I'm feeling a bit peaked after tonight's steak, though. I need some carbs besides a banana, so I might need to go get a bowl of plain white rice at the asian place nearby and try to see if I can eat it with my steak since they know me at the bar by now. And by bar, I mean very nice restaurant, and by bar, I mean I am not eating in the restaurant by myself. And the wine is good.

The lunch will be my biggest challenge. I had sushi today and my stomach has been upset and my face puffy. I'll have to see if I can find plain rice or meat tomorrow. I can't stomach eating bananas all day and then just meat at night. And no diet coke tomorrow. I caved and had murmurs of chest something within the hour. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment